I have this HP powerbrick with a 90W capacity (19v 4.7A) that I want to use in my project. I am planning to use it as a power source for my 50W LED. But I want to keep the male socket it has rather than chop it off.

What I need is to know what specific socket name should I search in EBay to use it? Or can anyone recommend me a link and I can search it from there.

I search for HP Power socket and I get this result: http://www.ebay.ph/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_sacat=0&_nkw=HP+power+socket&LH_PrefLoc=2&_arm=1&_armm=63&_ruu=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ph%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_sacat%3D0%26_nkw%3DHP%2Bpower%2Bsocket%26_arr%3D1

I'm not sure if this is what I am looking for.

Picture of the HP Power Brick The Power Brick Socket Socket

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I think it is called: "HP proprietary". On the other hand, most generic 3rd party laptop power supplies come with a bunch of different connectors, you'll have to check the manual for you model or gamble on the pictures. \$\endgroup\$
    – jippie
    May 5, 2015 at 16:14
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Possible duplicate of 3 Contact Laptop Power Supply \$\endgroup\$
    – Voltage Spike
    Feb 14, 2017 at 5:12

1 Answer 1


This is fairly standard connector, and can be found in abundance on Farnell


You just need to measure the outer diameter of the barrel and choose the one that suits from the above link.

I have narrowed the search by gender, but just check it is a female one you're buying!



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.