I now searched the web for about an hour and just can't figure out how these displays are called or where to buy them.

A lot of airports use them for the departure table. They seem to be just LED-Displays with a really strange dot layout.

Does anybody have an idea how these displays or these dot alignments are called?

(source: thehindu.com)

  • \$\begingroup\$ Flip display, flip dots display, something like that I think. \$\endgroup\$
    – Sergio
    May 13, 2015 at 17:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Sergio: No, flip dots are actual dots. The OP's display is a custom LCD. \$\endgroup\$
    – Dave Tweed
    May 13, 2015 at 20:09
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Unfortunately, the image appears to have succumbed to link rot and the wayback machine doesn't have it archived. \$\endgroup\$
    – Hearth
    Jun 7, 2020 at 11:47

1 Answer 1


This is a really interesting Google challenge.

I think it may be LCD - see this patent (EP 0146285 A2):


This one has what looks like a very similar pixel arrangement:


And here is a brochure where they're described as 'mosaic modules':


Somewhat ironically, given the earlier answer which has now been deleted, these appear to be made by Solari, though they're absolutely NOT what people generically refer to as a 'Solari Display'.

  • \$\begingroup\$ This is exactly what i was looking for. But it seems rather impossible to get such a thing as a hobbyist. Any ideas? \$\endgroup\$ May 14, 2015 at 7:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ The only one I found was this: giant-supplier.com/LCDDisplay.htm which is a two-char 111mm high module \$\endgroup\$
    – user1844
    May 14, 2015 at 9:58

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.