Other than FCC and RoHS statement, what other certifications do you need to have in order to sell your product to US Market?

My device is a remote control using Bluetooth Module. Operate using 4 x AA battery . The Bluetooth module is already certified with CE and FCC.

I was told I may need a Safety test. ETL if I'm not mistaken.

  • \$\begingroup\$ BTW, RoHS is a European directive that is not required in the US. \$\endgroup\$ Mar 30 '17 at 22:24

If the device is deemed to be information technology equipment (which it may, since it uses Bluetooth) you would be under the '60950' standard - UL 60950, and if you want to cross the border into Canada, CSA C22.2 #60950 (the standards are largely identical, so it makes sense to get both).

Intertek ETL is a US Nationally Recognized Testing Laboratory (NRTL) authorized to test to UL 60950. You could use UL, CSA, TUV, MET or any other NRTL to do the approval - it doesn't have to be Intertek.

The best way to know if the product needs approval is to get an opinion/quotation from an NRTL - they'll tell you what they believe the product needs and how much a certification will cost.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks @Madmanguruman. How much is the UL test compare to FCC? \$\endgroup\$
    – Daniel
    Jul 26 '11 at 1:36
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It's my understanding that UL investigations are in the tens of thousands, and subsequent updates (post-approval) are in the thousands. It depends on the scope of the work. Both places I've been have had an agreement with the regulatory agency to do witnessed testing, where a designated employee does most of the work and the representative witnesses some critical tests and does the paperwork. \$\endgroup\$ Jul 26 '11 at 11:02

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.