I believe the number 4 corresponds to the number of individual PCBs and the number 1 is for one panel.

  1. Is this the way panelized PCBs are commonly referenced? With an asterisk mark?
  2. What does the "-up" mean in Panel-up?
  3. Is there a more common way when to refer to quantities and descriptions of panelized PCBs?

Here is a link to where I saw the term used.

Screenshot below: enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ 4*1 probably means the panel is laid out as 4 PCB's wide by 1 high. Think it would probably be better written as 4 x 1. I think Panel-up is just a bad Chinese to English translation - as is Panelled up. \$\endgroup\$ – Tom Carpenter May 19 '15 at 16:41
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ "4*1" stand for "four by one". I.e. 4 columns, 1 row. \$\endgroup\$ – Eugene Sh. May 19 '15 at 16:41

"4*1" is already covered in the comments: an two-dimensional array of 4 boards by 1 board.

"panel-up" is likely a neologism derived from "n-up", which is a method of arranging multiple smaller images of pages on a single printed page which panelization imitates.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.