I'm working on a project that requires 3.3V from a pair of double AAs. I had thought that LDOs were always buck and if you needed boost you had to use a switching regulator. While doing some research for this project I came across the TPS736 line of LDOs from TI and now I'm confused.


Reading the datasheet leads me to believe that I can get 3.3V from 2 AAs as they run down to the minimum input voltage of 1.7V. Am I reading that right?

  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ An LDO regulator may also be a buck switching regulator but usually it is a linear (non-switching) regulator. In no way, shape or form can the voltage regulator specified produce 3.3 volts from a smaller input. It is a linear regulator not a switcher. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka May 24 '15 at 14:15

At the bottom of Table 6.5, on page 6 of the datasheet, it says:

(1) Minimum V\$_{IN}\$ = V\$_{OUT}\$ + V\$_{DO}\$ or 1.7V, whichever is greater.

So V\$_{IN}\$ cannot be less than V\$_{OUT}\$. So it is a regular LDO.

The datasheet is not written very well.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.