Exactly what the title says. I'm writing a technical report on a project I'm doing and I have one circuit which takes in a sine wave of various amplitudes, does a bunch of stuff to it and produces output that's steady for a steady input wave amplitude.

I'm tempted to say "step response" but in isn't that strictly speaking. And "response to to a step change in the amplitude of the input waveform" just sounds super awkward and too long to be using all the time while referring to the responses.

  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Step response is the right term. To make it clearer for the readers of your report, you can provide the long version in a footnote. \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev May 26 '15 at 0:09
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Also, I think you have one too many "to"s. \$\endgroup\$ – Lefty May 26 '15 at 0:14

I would recommend envelope step response. It's not terribly elegant, but it does convey the meaning you're trying for. The other possibility that seems possible is tone burst response.


“response to a step change in the amplitude of the input waveform”?

"Response" implies a reaction to an "input change" making your sentence now: -

“response to a step ” or "step response"


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.