I have a basic question regarding bipolar junction transistors.As far as i know, the correct biasing of the transistor is achieved using a process known commonly as base bias.Correct me if i am wrong. Base bias networks can be used for Common-base (CB), common-collector (CC) or common-emitter (CE) transistor configurations.My question is, how does biasing of a common base configuration is done? or in other words, how to base bias a common base configuration transistor?

  • \$\begingroup\$ A couple of series resistors from power to ground with midpoint to the base. Decoupler cap on base to ground too. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Jun 7 '15 at 15:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Andyaka why do we need decoupling capacitor? \$\endgroup\$ – zxcv91 Jun 7 '15 at 15:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ Realize a common-emitter stage (with Re-feedback). If you feed the signal into the emitter instead of the base node. Then, you have a common-base amplifier (DC operatinmg point unchangend) - if you ground the base for ac signals (capacitor). \$\endgroup\$ – LvW Jun 7 '15 at 16:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ @LvW thank you for your feedback. Now i get how biasing is done. \$\endgroup\$ – zxcv91 Jun 7 '15 at 22:52

For the transistor to work in conduction, its \$V_{BE} \ge 0.6V\$. For a common base circuit, you can achieve this for example by grounding the base and biasing the emitter input negatively.

The following circuit illustrates the principle:


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

Or if you do not have a negative rail, you can bias the base with a resistor divider, as Andy suggested.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Please forgive the awkward voltage rails layout. Is there a better way to do this with circuitlab, and still have a simulating circuit? \$\endgroup\$ – corecode Jun 7 '15 at 16:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ Just single-click the component, then Right-Click on the component to bring up the properties dialog box. Then select "Flip Vertically". \$\endgroup\$ – Dwayne Reid Jun 7 '15 at 16:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ @corecode and dwayne : thanks guys, appreciate the explanation. \$\endgroup\$ – zxcv91 Jun 7 '15 at 22:50

you have same circuit as voltage divider CE amplifier with degeneration resistor; no bypass cap on it; simply connect a large capacitor like 10 micro to the base where its connected to divider resistors and the other side to ground; this will form an AC ground point while blocking DC bias from getting drained to ground


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.