So I'm just starting to get into soldering, and being a noob, I got the most el cheapo solder kit you could possibly get.
Now the problem is that the soldering iron isn't very hot. So with lead-free solder, it takes some convincing and pressing the solder onto the iron for a few seconds before the solder melts.
This is fine if I don't have my fan (regular desk fan) on - I could solder quite normally. However, the fumes smell horrible, and apparently they are bad for you. But when I turn my fan on, the solder won't melt. Or it would melt after 2 minutes with me pressing down the soldering iron and overheating everything on the board, but instantly freeze as long as it it's not directly in touch with the soldering iron. I even got solder wire stuck firmly onto a circuit board because it froze so quickly.
It seems like the fan is cooling down the solder, which is strange since it's not a super powerful fan or anything. Is there a way to prevent this? Or do I need to get one of those special fume extractor fans?