Sorry for my english i'm a young french.

I want to design an audio transmitter to connect my pc to my Hi-Fi without Jack cables.

For now i just want to send a mono signal because sending a stereo seems to be too complicated and i don't need it.

The problem is that my PC's output is a stereo jack. So is it correct to merge the two signals in once, using an operational amplifier in buffer or summing ? Will the sound be ok, just suming two signals ?


  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't think Aspect Oriented Programming is appropriate for audio signals... \$\endgroup\$
    – user16324
    Jun 25, 2015 at 9:42

1 Answer 1


You don't really need an opamp. You can do it easily enough this way:

Passive Mixer

This will sound fine although the volume level will be lower than normal -- so you will likely need to turn up the volume knob on your Hi-Fi.

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ Suggest R3=47K pot, R4=0... \$\endgroup\$
    – user16324
    Jun 25, 2015 at 9:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ I agree with @Brian (FYI) \$\endgroup\$ Jun 25, 2015 at 10:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ @BrianDrummond why 47K pot only ? \$\endgroup\$
    – MaMba
    Jun 25, 2015 at 10:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ With R4 > 0, you can't fade right down to 0 volume. Other values will work if that doesn't matter. \$\endgroup\$
    – user16324
    Jun 25, 2015 at 10:28
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Brian But he's connecting to a Hi-Fi system so it would have final output authority, no? I'm thinking the pot is just for level adjustment to prevent saturating the Hi-Fi input. \$\endgroup\$ Jun 25, 2015 at 23:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.