I'm looking to achieve a particular lighting effect in my next project:

enter image description here enter image description here

I've never worked with nixie tubes before so what I'm wondering is how the LED underglow works. Is it just an LED pointed at the base of the glass (is it glass?) which contains the nixie tube? Also, if anyone knows of a good tutorial on nixie tubes that would be great. I'm just using Wikipedia and such at the moment.

  • \$\begingroup\$ These are just made with a LED placed at the base of the tube. \$\endgroup\$ May 2, 2016 at 1:34

1 Answer 1


It seems that you can buy nixie tubes sockets with in-built LEDs, that's how the glow is done.


  • \$\begingroup\$ Hm, ok... might build that myself with some smaller nixies. Thanks! \$\endgroup\$
    – NickHalden
    Aug 10, 2011 at 20:23
  • \$\begingroup\$ You can also drill a 5mm hole under the socket and insert 30 deg u ltrabright LED > 16 Cd @ 20 mA . I have boxes of them \$\endgroup\$ Aug 31, 2021 at 17:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.