You see them in various stereo systems and such, they are used to simulate a potentiometer. There is no limit to how much you can turn them in either direction and as you turn them they send pulses indicating the direction. What are they called?

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Are you thinking of a rotary encoder? \$\endgroup\$ – scld Jul 28 '15 at 0:43
  • \$\begingroup\$ ah yes that seems to be it \$\endgroup\$ – user81993 Jul 28 '15 at 0:46


A rotary encoder, also called a shaft encoder, is an electro-mechanical device that converts the angular position or motion of a shaft or axle to an analog or digital code.

There are many different varieties and you'll need to further define your requirements to decide which is best for your needs.

  • \$\begingroup\$ The encoders in the user interfaces (front panels of stereos and such) are usually of contacting type (like these) or magnetic type. \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Jul 28 '15 at 1:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.