I have to design a microwave amplifier in the frequency range of 0-15GHz. To this end, I need to be able to design circuits with HEMT/PHEMT transistors. Is there a comprehensible manual that teaches precisely how to deal with and manipulate such transistors? I prefer online manual, but books are also welcome. I'm not a professional electrical engineer, so, I need practical explanations of how to build circuits with such transistors.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Gigahenries (GH) is not a unit of frequency. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Aug 5 '15 at 14:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ I doubt if you'll find a single book. Most people who do that kind of design start by getting a PhD. Also, the kind of frequency rang you're asking for probably means a cascode amplifier, and you'll have a hard time building that from individual transistors if you don't have access to your own fab. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Aug 5 '15 at 16:04
  • \$\begingroup\$ Is it because the building and tuning of such circuits is so difficult that one needs a PhD, or is it because there are commercial and/or military interests ? \$\endgroup\$
    – MikeTeX
    Aug 5 '15 at 17:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you have only a little experience, then GHz are tricky... Maybe try mini-circuits. \$\endgroup\$ Aug 5 '15 at 17:20
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @MikeTeX, Yes, Though I know I'm not suppose to give shopping suggestions. This?? minicircuits.com/pdfs/ZX60-183A+.pdf \$\endgroup\$ Aug 5 '15 at 18:34

There aren't many complete references for HEMTs or pHEMTs. It may be because they're relatively new and specialized. I think it's because they're just another variation in the FET family.

Most people learn to initially use FETs by studying MOSFETs and then MESFETs. HEMT/pHEMT usage is so similar to MESFETs, most MESFET techniques can be used without changing a thing. This is why most references are focused on a specific difference, and do not cover general HEMT usage.

Here are a few "RF 101" books I would start with... Pozar, Microwave Engineering

Ludwig, RF Circuit Design

If you still want something specific to HEMTs...

Golio, Microwave MESFETs and HEMTs

  • \$\begingroup\$ Just to know: what is "RF 101 books" (I haven't been successful with google) \$\endgroup\$
    – MikeTeX
    Aug 11 '15 at 7:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ At US university's, the first class towards a degree is often numbered 101. To get a degree in radio frequency, you might start by taking a class called RF 101. I guess I didn't consider that it's limited to the US. \$\endgroup\$
    – curtis
    Aug 11 '15 at 8:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.