Can you identify this component. I think it is a fuse.

It is 5 mm long and 2.5 mm in diameter.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Looks like a broken resistor to me.. \$\endgroup\$ – Eugene Sh. Sep 10 '15 at 20:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ @EugeneSh. aka "poor man's fuse" \$\endgroup\$ – The Photon Sep 10 '15 at 20:34
  • \$\begingroup\$ Because of the asymmetric marking my guess would be a diode.Diodes are the only SMD components I have seen in a cylindrical houseing, but I haven't seen that much. \$\endgroup\$ – Wouter van Ooijen Sep 10 '15 at 20:35
  • \$\begingroup\$ @NickM, consider cropping your photo better to give us a better look at the part. \$\endgroup\$ – The Photon Sep 10 '15 at 20:36
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @WoutervanOoijen 1206 resistors can also be in cylindrical form (they are quite common in our products). But those have a lot more bands and are symmetric (in case of jumper resistors only a single black marking is in the middle). \$\endgroup\$ – Arsenal Sep 10 '15 at 21:08

It is probably a diode of some sort. The case seems to be a DO-213AB plastic casing (more exactly: molded epoxy over glass body) with two marking bands. One is typically used to give information about type and polarity (the white one) and the other about voltage rating (the red one).

Question is, what type exactly. I've found for example 1N6479 from Vishay. The markings would translate into:

  1. White band: Standard recovery type
  2. Red band: 100V max. DC blocking voltage

But I'm almost certain that you can find a different type with the same markings out there somewhere. If it is a working diode, you could try and measure some of it's parameters and see if it fits.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.