I was looking for a way to dim a regular light bulb in a circuit. With the help of this site, I learned that using (variable) resistors would dim the light, but eat up electricity in the form of heat.

What I needed was a triac dimmer. I have been looking for a triac dimmer component, but failed to find anything that would fit my needs. What I'm looking for is something that is small and where a knob can be attached, much like a potentiometer.

Does this kind of component exist and how is it called? Maybe this kind of component is too big, and does not exist as a "kind of potentiometer".

Beginner questions from an absolute beginner. All help is much appreciated!

More info:

  • this question is about AC power
  • I want to make a lamp on a small block of wood with a knob to dim the light
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ A big amount of households seem to have such an item installed in their walls or on some lamps... \$\endgroup\$
    – PlasmaHH
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ AC or DC power? \$\endgroup\$
    – HandyHowie
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ AC, I'll update my answser \$\endgroup\$
    – TomCB
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:37
  • \$\begingroup\$ if u want to buy means the most product will be like wall mount, like fan speed controller,if u want to embedded into your circuit means need to design ZERO CROSSING DETECTION with triac \$\endgroup\$
    – masternone
    Sep 24, 2015 at 12:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ A normal house light dimmer sounds just what you need. Some of them do have a minimum wattage, though. What wattage lamp is it? \$\endgroup\$
    – HandyHowie
    Sep 24, 2015 at 13:15

1 Answer 1


This is as small as a dimmer can get. I think this fill all of your requirements and is rated for 300W. http://www.grandbrass.com/SearchShowItem.cfm?ItemNumber=DIB300

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.