I am working on a project which has a GSM and GPS on the same PCB (fairly near each other in an enclosure). Since I am not familiar with GPS I was wondering if any of you could give me some tips on this matter since I am going to create a new PCB design.
In my current prototype, I have a SIMCOM GSM module and the gp-635t gps. They are both in an enclsoure including antennas (gps antenna is integrated). What I experience is sometimes poor GSM and GPS connectivity and sometimes GPS doesn't get any fix (in the 2 minutes of time i allocate for it) and the GSM fails to send data sometimes.
- Are the two modules interfering with each other?
- How should I approach the new pcb design? Ideally I would like to have both gsm and gps on the same layer, is that a bad idea?
- I read it is suggested the GPS to have its own ground plane?
- Are GPS integrated antennas worse than external ones?
- GSM have 2 types of antenna: internal and external . Is one better than the other? Ideally my application would require both to be hidden (inside the enclosure) but not if the quality will be awful.
I hope some of you guys who have experienced this before me can give me good tips in this regards.