Use a smoke extractor, don't lick your fingers, smoke or suck solder. Wash your hands afterwards. Sweep the bench and dispose of any debris in a waste bin (or a hazardous waste system if you really really really care).
The smoke is essentially wholly fumes from the flux. Any hazards from the lead (if you use lead based solder) come from getting metallic lead into your body. The risks are very small indeed if you use even basic common sense.
Many solder fume extractors and some more.
Even something this simple works well enough for most purposes.
What sort of extractor you need depends on how worried you are about the affects of the flux smoke. I have occasionally used fans similar to the one shown but in most cases have done substantial hand soldering without any sort of fume extractor. Others would probably not consider soldering without one.
A small desk fan will usually be more effective than a room's ceiling fan. A room fan will disperse smoke to some extent but tends to blow air rather than to suck and the air stream is lower velocity than you will achieve with a desk mounted fan. Ideally you would exhaust via a filter but an unfiltered fan as shown which simply keeps direct smoke away from the user will greatly reduce inhalation.