I wish to use some castellated pads or 'half holes' for board to board connections but I'm having a hard time finding a reference detailing how to specify these in my CAD package of choice (EAGLE). My approach has been the following:
- Create a custom package
- Place a large rectangular pad on the top layer.
- Place another similarly sized pad at the same x,y on the bottom layer
- Place a via whose drill lies inside the pads
- In the library's device editor, append both pads and the via to the same pin
- In the board layout, run the board outline through the center of the vias on the dimension layer
The result looks similar to this: result http://files.zzattack.org/img/upload/tmp878E.png
Now for my question(s):
- What are reasonable pad width/length, via diameter and drill diameter for castellated pads aligning with SOIC (0.05" spacing) package pads?
- Should the pads run all the way down the end of the via, to the center of the via, or does it not matter?
- Can I get rid of the 'dimension' DRC error?
- Is there perhaps a 'proven' library package that I could have used/modified instead?