I purchased a 2.5mm TRS socket to receive LANC signals. I am try to wire it to an Arduino Mega. Am brand new to this.

The connections for LANC are this:

T = LANC protocol R = 5V DC S = Ground.

The connector has 3 prongs on it but they don't seem to be labelled and I can't find anything that distinguishes the tip, ring and sleeve. So can anyone help with that?

Bonus points if anyone can tell me where they go on the Arduino.

Thanks a lot

My 2.5mm jack

  • \$\begingroup\$ Do you have a male 2.5mm plug available? You can plug it in and use continuity check to see where the conductors connect. \$\endgroup\$ – Austin Nov 12 '15 at 12:01
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I do yes. I'm unfamiliar with "continuity" though \$\endgroup\$ – Josh Dredge Nov 12 '15 at 12:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ Continuity check on a multimeter is just a special mode of the resistance measurement function. It is usually either on the lowest range or is its own setting, signified with a sound icon (cdn.sciencebuddies.org/Files/4815/6/…). It will make a beep when the resistance is very low. This lets you check what is connected to what without having to look at the meter. \$\endgroup\$ – Austin Nov 12 '15 at 12:05
  • \$\begingroup\$ My multimeter does have that option. I'm in a similar boat with my male connector though, I don't know which plug is which. I have a remote plugged in to the female, but no idea where to place the multimeter prongs now. \$\endgroup\$ – Josh Dredge Nov 12 '15 at 12:11
  • \$\begingroup\$ Ah, but on that one the mating part is exposed, so you can touch the tip, ring, and sleeve and check against its pins. Then once you know how its pins are wired you can plug it into the female part and do the check again to find how it is wired. \$\endgroup\$ – Austin Nov 12 '15 at 12:13

Thanks to Austin, was able to determine.

enter image description here


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.