Sorry if this is not a question in the classical sense of stack exchange.

What is the cap that locks the wires called in the attached picture? I've not been able to identifying them with a fair bit of googling. Posting here as last resort.

Many thanks.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ looks a bit like one segment of a chocolate block. \$\endgroup\$
    – Icy
    Nov 19 '15 at 10:21
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Looks like audiophile "special" zero-ohm silver-plated multi-strand pointless cable to me so I bet those plastic things are going to be expensive in order to ensure the audio distortion remains below 1 part per billion. \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Nov 19 '15 at 10:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ Screw terminals on stranded cables without ferrules, what a travesty. \$\endgroup\$
    – venny
    Nov 19 '15 at 19:10
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Andyaka No way, this is generic chinese PVC speaker cable. \$\endgroup\$
    – venny
    Nov 19 '15 at 19:14

This is a single screw terminal block

enter image description here




  • \$\begingroup\$ Isn't clamping several cables under one screw considered bad practice? (Maybe that should be an own question?) \$\endgroup\$
    – Arsenal
    Nov 19 '15 at 10:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ It's often done in light fittings, and other domestic electric circuits, good practice or not. \$\endgroup\$
    – Icy
    Nov 19 '15 at 11:02
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks a lot! In that picture, the terminals are being used to connect mains to a parallel circuit of light bulbs. \$\endgroup\$
    – Chris
    Nov 19 '15 at 11:23

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.