I would like to test a bunch of sensors. Each sensor has a DB15 connector with mixed digital and analog signals (bw ~5MHz, Z ~120R).

I am looking for an instrument where I can control which couple of sensors I would like to interconnect to the measurement PC. I've seen commutation switch such as the Keithley 3706A, but these guys does not accept custom commutation board when I can populate my own connectors and my own relays.

So I am thinking to make my own commutation system with a MCU, a FTDI and a bunch of analog switch and relays.

I feel this is a very common need in the testing area and I would like to know what commercial solution can be used in my case.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Are you asking for purchasing recommendations? If you are the question will be closed as being off-topic for EE. \$\endgroup\$ – Andy aka Nov 30 '15 at 20:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ No I am not since I propose also to make my own electronic. I just don't want to reinvent the wheel \$\endgroup\$ – nowox Nov 30 '15 at 20:53

If you can get away with analogue switches you should but, if you can't I've designed pretty much what you might need and used pickering reed relays (type 107): -

enter image description here

Who cares about reinventing the wheel - wheels work so use 'em.

You can stack'em up close - I had about 96 differential input channels that needed testing on a pice of equipment - we used the relays for sequencing thru and injecting signals. They are good for very low level signals (wetting current problems etc..). And, they do a changeover version I've used on a later bit of equipment.

They also (and here's the purchasing recommendation!) do modules that are addressable.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.