I know its basic but google just doesn't give me anything .

I have Eagle on a mac, i have a design with a few resistors, i would like to change their footprint to 0805 .

The menu is just not showing me this option to see the part footprint.

thank you.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Could you clarify, in what way can't you see the footprint? \$\endgroup\$ – vini_i Dec 2 '15 at 10:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ Well, i just dont know how to edit and see a component footprint, i mean , where is it in the software menus ? \$\endgroup\$ – Curnelious Dec 2 '15 at 10:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ Right lick on a component and go to open device. This will show the symbol and the package. \$\endgroup\$ – vini_i Dec 2 '15 at 10:27
  • \$\begingroup\$ @vini_i Oh thanks thats working! post it as answer i will accept. its quite simple but its hidden and there is nothing on google... \$\endgroup\$ – Curnelious Dec 2 '15 at 10:40

Right click on a component and go to open device. This will show the symbol and the package.

This only works with library parts that are in the lbr folder of the root eagle directory. If you have your own custom libraries you have to open the library directly.

Also when placing components using the add tool, it shows you a preview of both the symbol and the package.


If you are using resistors from, say, the resistors or rcl libraries, the resistor part has multiple footprints already of all different shapes and size.

In this case all you need to do is right click on the part (either in layout or in the schematic), and click the option named package. This will bring up a window of all the available packages to choose from.

The context menu looks something like this:

Context Menu

And this is the window that appears:

Package Window

So in my case I was using an 0402, but can change it to one of many other sizes. Simply select the one you want.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.