Is there a device that has \$s\$ as its transfer function, that is, a physical system implementing a derivative?


3 Answers 3


@Ariser already gave you a good answer in the context of electronics: a differentiator implemented with opamps.

From a strictly theoretical point of view (system theory) a system with a transfer function \$H(s)=s\$ is not realizable because it is not causal, i.e. it would have an impulse response which is not zero before the impulse is applied to the input.

See this reference for more information.

Note that the differentiator using an opamp is a true differentiator only if we assume the opamp is ideal. Real opamps have internal circuitry that contributes many higher order poles to the overall transfer function, so the aforementioned circuit will have poles which make its transfer function causal (and also limit its bandwidth, which otherwise would be infinite).

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks Lorenzo. I was looking for an answer from a control or systems perspective, as I was already aware of the differentiator circuit mentioned in other answers. \$\endgroup\$
    – RYS
    Dec 8, 2015 at 23:54

You can build such a device with limitations from an OP-amp, 1 resistor and 1 capacitor.


simulate this circuit – Schematic created using CircuitLab

  • \$\begingroup\$ And what is the caveat? Derivative over limited bandwidth? \$\endgroup\$
    – RYS
    Dec 8, 2015 at 21:24
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @RYS: Pretty unstable in practice. \$\endgroup\$
    – Fizz
    Dec 8, 2015 at 21:28
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Chu Same goes for an integrator, because no device can store infinite energy and generate infinite voltage. \$\endgroup\$
    – Ariser
    Dec 8, 2015 at 22:06
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @Ariser, yes, infinite gain at zero frequency is equally impossible \$\endgroup\$
    – Chu
    Dec 8, 2015 at 22:07

Another way to look at it is that a capacitor has current that is (ideally) proportional to the derivative of the voltage across it.

If you connect a capacitor to a transimpedance amplifier (current to voltage converter) you get a differentiator as others have discussed.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.