What is the recommended way to make solid connections to the pins below? Can the soldering be avoided, and if not, what component should be used to provide the plug/unplug connection?

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ You need a socket. FPC/FRC Sockets are a way to go. Google might help. \$\endgroup\$ – ammar.cma Jan 7 '16 at 13:45
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ "PCB edge connector" is a common name for what you're looking for. \$\endgroup\$ – user_1818839 Jan 7 '16 at 13:50
  • \$\begingroup\$ @BrianDrummond The picture might be a bit misleading, but I don't believe it's an edge connector. The whole board isn't supposed to be plugged into a slot \$\endgroup\$ – TheMeaningfulEngineer Jan 7 '16 at 14:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Alan can you post a picture of the whole PCB? \$\endgroup\$ – marco-a Jan 7 '16 at 14:03
  • \$\begingroup\$ @d3l Updated with a larger picture. It show the pins I'm referring to \$\endgroup\$ – TheMeaningfulEngineer Jan 7 '16 at 14:06

Thanks all the guys that commented. There seems not to be a solution that doesn't include soldering. There are some suggestions to use PCB edge connectors but those would not be a solution if the pins are located in the middle of the PCB.

The component name to use is an "smd pin header". Example

  • \$\begingroup\$ Perhaps you're looking for pogo pins? (Also here.)They generally require that you build a custom fixture to align and clamp the PCB to the pins. \$\endgroup\$ – Dave Tweed Jan 7 '16 at 19:44

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.