I'm in the process of designing a PCB/Prototype and looking at different types of board-to-wire type connectors. In particular, I want to connect an SPI OLED display to the main PCB. It needs to be removable and small, but not too small that it's delicate/fragile. It also needs to be a low-profile connector since the display and PCB are packaged closed to each other.

Here's the underside of the housing. The main PCB will be within the housing just beneath the display:

enter image description here

Is there another name or trade-name for these type of parts that I should be searching for?

Should I look at standard .1" header pitch for connectors or is there a smaller, yet still common pitch that is still robust and inexpensive?

Also, is this the correct way to connect the display to the pcb for this application?

update: I looking for low profile type connector like this(not not as small and with 7 connectors: Low Profile Connector enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ What level of robustness are you aiming for? most people would likely just use a vanilla flat flex \$\endgroup\$
    – PlasmaHH
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 20:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ @PlasmaHH It will be under some intermittent vibration. It does not need to comply with any waterproof/dusproof standards either. Flat Flex looks nice! I think that's on the right track. I would need a vertical surface mount connector(similar to the connector on the display in photo) since the PCB edges are not exposed. \$\endgroup\$
    – GisMofx
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 20:39

2 Answers 2


Without a measurement scale in the photo, those are probably intended to mate with .025 " (0.63 mm) square posts on a 0.1" pitch. Back in the day wire wrap pins would have been the term. The easiest way to buy them nowadays is as a breakaway, single row male headerenter image description here in a convenient length. I've used digikey.com as the source just because the link was available, but any electronics part house should have what you need. A header using a smaller pitch will have a smaller pin, so don't try it unless you are willing to replace the female components.

  • \$\begingroup\$ I don't want to use those because they are too tall when the prototype is assembled. \$\endgroup\$
    – GisMofx
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 20:56
  • \$\begingroup\$ @GisMofx - Then you'll need to replace the female connectors you show. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 21:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ absolutely! Those are going to get cut-off once I find the correct connector \$\endgroup\$
    – GisMofx
    Commented Jan 7, 2016 at 21:03

JST XH or PH are my usual gotos for something more reliable than a basic "dupont" crimp housing. You lose the ability to have a variable-size connector, but you gain incredible robustness in the connection.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.