I am interested in the voltage used in electrical fly killers - does anyone know (no speculation please) the voltages generally employed? To be clear, I am talking about mains powered, wall-mounted devices.

I would also be interested in the general topologies used - I am guessing some sort of self-resonant flyback with an unrectified output. Anyone know for sure? I haven't pulled one apart yet...

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ brighthubengineering.com/diy-electronics-devices/… \$\endgroup\$
    – Eugene Sh.
    Jan 22, 2016 at 16:17
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ I have one with a coil directly wired to the plug; 230V (UK mains) \$\endgroup\$ Jan 22, 2016 at 16:21
  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks @EugeneSh. - I realise I left some critical details out of my original question. Best I can tell from your link is <630Vpk , but useful all the same. Thanks. \$\endgroup\$
    – stefandz
    Jan 22, 2016 at 16:21
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I have seen 120V ones and I have seen 1.2kV ones. There is no definite answer - It highly depends on the type and manufacturer. \$\endgroup\$
    – DerStrom8
    Jan 22, 2016 at 16:24
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Flyback seems appropriate. Will web-apps eventually replace these? \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Jan 22, 2016 at 16:47

3 Answers 3


I visited a factory making the 50/60Hz transformer type some years ago. They were several kV (3-4kV) and similar in construction to ballast transformers for neon signs, but without the magnetic shunts to increase the output impedance.

These ones create quite a profound arc which is intended to burn the insect off the grids. Here's a photo of one from Alibaba:

enter image description here


One which I repaired once used rectified 240V mains with a doubler, so about 680V


Here's a teardown video of a cheap plug-in type, which uses voltage doublers to product -630V and +630V across the grid:



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.