How would I use this information from Battery University to properly charge a car starter/ing battery--with the following specs: Vnom=12, CCA=640, CA=800, RC=110 minutes, AH=?
I plan to use a regulated bench power supply for charging. The way I see it, I should setup the max charging A & V controls, ensure the electrolyte levels are correct, connect the battery to the power supply & after the battery has reached full charge (i.e. when the charge current has dropped to 3 to 5% of the AH rating of the battery), I would then change the max charging V to the float V (maintenance charge V) or disconnect the battery, rest it (0h-24h), test it, & put it into service if it is good. Is that correct or did I miss something in my understanding?
What I don't know for certain is:
1. The AH rating of the battery (i.e. how this is calculated properly)
2. The max A for CC charging
3. The max V for top (saturation) charging
4. What exactly does 3% to 5% of the AH rating mean? Does this mean when the charge rate in amps drops to 3% to 5% of the battery AH rating (e.g. charger A = batt AH * .03 or 05)?
5. What exactly is the correct float V?