What are the basic guidelines for safely using a "bare" unenclosed power supply (random example)?
As a relative novice, my thoughts are:
- Definitely need a separate enclosure
- To avoid overheating, dont put it in a separate enclosure
- Well, use a separate enclosure, but drill holes in it or something to allow ventilation
- If it'll be used where there is water nearby (like a kitchen), definitely don't drill holes in the enclosure to lower the risk of splash damage
- Maybe mount it somewhere hidden where it has plenty of air and no risk of water
- Well now you have bare 120v AC connections, and someone will get shocked
- Go to #1
For my project (overly complicated under cabinet lighting) I've decided that using multiple fully sealed power bricks will be the way to go. But I'm curious what the correct way to handle "bare" power supplies is.