0
\$\begingroup\$

I have a thermostat (Siemens REV200) which runs on 2 AA batteries. I've put in 2 brand new (A brand) batteries but the device keeps showing me low battery power signals. How do electronics usually measure battery life?

I was thinking of connecting a power supply to it which exceeds 3 volts or 2 amp. Would this be a solution?

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ Check out an example AA battery datasheet: ww2.duracell.com/media/en-US/pdf/gtcl/Product_Data_Sheet/… Under "Constant Current", you can see how the battery voltage drops over time at different loads. Typically the device will measure the battery voltage and convert (using a rough approximation) to a percentage. \$\endgroup\$ – Jason Wright Feb 18 '16 at 14:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ In many devices it's a simple voltage measurement, which can be fooled if the battery chemistry isn't what the designer expected. \$\endgroup\$ – Brian Drummond Feb 18 '16 at 14:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ Maybe the battery contacts are corroded, clean them up using a pencil eraser. \$\endgroup\$ – Bimpelrekkie Feb 18 '16 at 14:49
  • \$\begingroup\$ @FakeMoustache I already tried with contact spray, but the device is brand new and the contacts were clean already. Also the voltage of the batteries seemed normal. \$\endgroup\$ – Mehdi Nellen Feb 18 '16 at 15:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ Then I think this thermostat is broken, send it back to Siemens ! \$\endgroup\$ – Bimpelrekkie Feb 18 '16 at 15:27
0
\$\begingroup\$

Typically low battery (for primary- aka non-rechargeable) batteries or cells is indicated when the voltage (preferably under load) drops below a set threshold.

Replacing primary alkaline cells with a different type such as NiMH rechargeable cells can result in a 'low battery' indication because the cell chemistry is quite different, resulting in a lower voltage- 1.2V vs. 1.5V in that particular case- even for freshly charged batteries.

We have no way of knowing whether attaching an external power supply could cause any damage- if the thermostat has problems replacing it or repairing it would probably be a better course of action.

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ The device is brand new, and the alkine batteries as well (Duracel), I've measured the voltage and it slightly exceeds 1.5v. Too bad I can not provide you with any circuitry information (it is not provided by Siemens) \$\endgroup\$ – Mehdi Nellen Feb 18 '16 at 15:19
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Any chance it got wet or leaking batteries corroded or left residue on the PCB? \$\endgroup\$ – Spehro Pefhany Feb 18 '16 at 15:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ no, contacts seem to have no resistance till the first components on the pcb. Quite enigmatic, thanks for your suggestions any way. \$\endgroup\$ – Mehdi Nellen Feb 18 '16 at 15:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.