I'm needing an enclosure weatherproof and with dimensions around 150x150mm. After searching, I know that I should look for something like IP65 or higher, is this right? I also want to have holes for an antenna, and a power suply cable, all this ofcourse weatherproof? Are all the enclosures in OKW ready with holes?How can I make sure the right holes are there before buying the cases?


  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What does "Weatherproof" mean for your application? If it's just a point that your sales team wants on the datasheet, yes, IP65 will be fine. If "Weatherproof" means that it might sit in a puddle for a few minutes, you are concerned about quality and want it to actually be watertight/weatherproof, or it's for safety-critical applications, then you may want to revise your criteria based on the liquid-tight definitions. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 11, 2011 at 1:38
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Don't enclosures usually have three dimensions? \$\endgroup\$
    – stevenvh
    Commented Nov 13, 2011 at 10:38

2 Answers 2


For the enclosure, Bud Industries makes a line of NEMA rated waterproof plastic enclosures. They vary in price from $10 to $50 from distributors like Digikey based on size and rating.

An example box that may fit your dimension requirements is the NBB-10260 (Digikey). It even comes with a clear lid for reading LCD displays if you need to. bud ind box

An option for getting cables out of a box that I have used in the past is a Cable Gland.

cable gland cable gland example

You simply drill the correct size hole in your enclosure and tighten the cable gland around your cable. If you adhere to the datasheet dimensions, it can be waterproof and dustproof.

  • \$\begingroup\$ It's worth noting that using the cable-gland as pictured in the last image will not actually provide a seal. You can only run one cable through each gland, or you get the possibility of leaks through the gabs between the cables. \$\endgroup\$ Commented May 23, 2013 at 4:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ @ConnorWolf Good point! \$\endgroup\$
    – justing
    Commented May 23, 2013 at 14:39
  • \$\begingroup\$ I think NEMA 4/4x (and higher) enclosures lose their rating if you drill holes in it. \$\endgroup\$
    – MV.
    Commented Jul 28, 2015 at 0:57

You could always use an otter box, drill some holes for ports and use weather proof connections. More about your question regarding IPx ratings, a rating of IP6x prevents ingress of dust. The second digit is water ingress, a IPx4 - IPx6 should be sufficient for weather protection, IPx7 and up for submersion in water. So IP64 or greater, same goes for any ports or connections you intend to use.

*I found them, they are still available. otterbox dry boxes

enter image description here

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ What's an "otter box"? \$\endgroup\$
    – Dave Tweed
    Commented May 22, 2013 at 14:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.