total noob here. I'm trying to figure out why an LED in a small circuit isn't getting to full brightness, and how to fix that.
It's a simple, pre-bought circuit, seen here http://postimg.org/image/iab6po9c1/ - originally taken from a basic led bike wheel valve light. Circuit like this:
Battery (3 x AG10) > Vibration Switch > LED > Battery.
(before you ask - http://www.electrodragon.com/product/vibration-switch-sensor-sw-18020p/ - but I've no idea of the exact specs of mine, just that I have a few different ones, and they all act the same way).
When the LED (any LED, I also tried a few) is connected directly to the battery, or I manually press the spring against the contact in the vib switch, it lights up at normal brightness.
However when the vibration switch is, well, vibrated and switched, I only ever get around 50% brightness from the LED. I assume the switch only makes contact for a very short period so doesn't let enough power through or whatever. Either way, it's dull.
I'm not sure exactly what to use, but I've seen similar stuff that puts a transistor or 555 timer between the battery and LED, uses the switch to activate the transistor or 555, that then pulls power from the battery and activates the LED:
Battery > Transistor > LED > Battery
| > Vib. Switch >|
Any ideas if this will get the battery to full brightness? If so, what type of transistor would I need (I got as far as NPN - don't wanna use 555 as it's be too big and complex)? And/or is there anything I'm missing (caps, resistors - trying to keep it simple - I have about 5mil of space and would prefer not to even solder). Thanks :)