I found this while taking apart a PSU, the closest label was B1. It appears to be a transformer-like component with two leads, and the coils on the vertical part around the core seem to be connected opposite the leads. Googling the label got me nowhere.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Interesting. I got some leads on the inscription, but they all seem to point to the frame of the unit which is apparently called U3216. For example this \$\endgroup\$
    – AndrejaKo
    Commented Nov 16, 2011 at 12:26
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Looks to me like it's just an inductor - kind of like a toroidal one with a closed loop for the induction core, just not in the shape of a toroid. \$\endgroup\$
    – Majenko
    Commented Nov 16, 2011 at 12:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ Dumping a 3000 x 2250 picture on us is ridiculous. It should be resized to 800 max. It wouldn't hurt to hold the camera still and focus more carefully either next time. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 16, 2011 at 13:41
  • \$\begingroup\$ @Olin Lathrop: Welcome here for a possible solution: meta.stackexchange.com/questions/101439/… No need even for reupload - just change the link. m infix yields an even smaller image. \$\endgroup\$
    – sharptooth
    Commented Nov 16, 2011 at 14:43
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It would also help if you put a ruler next to it for scale. \$\endgroup\$
    – starblue
    Commented Nov 17, 2011 at 8:05

1 Answer 1


Just an inductor, it's used in some large switched mode psus to do powerfactor correction.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Yup, that's what I was going to say too. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Nov 16, 2011 at 13:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.