I'm looking for a small fairly rugged normally open switch that closes when a "pin" is removed. It needs to take about 12V It needs to be passive and not require power. Is there such a component?

Basically, I want to be able to pull out a pin or a small plug to turn a device on.

I can think of a mechanical solution, a plastic pin that blocks the current flow, once removed the contacts would press together. But, for my application (a drone) I don't think I can build something rugged enough.

So is there a type of store-bought component that will do this?

  • \$\begingroup\$ sure. take a clothes pin, the old wooden type, glue some copper pads to the ends, for contacts. Then add wire to each contact. insert some insulator like a piece of hard plastic for the "Pin." There you have it. I hope this isn't for some kind of bomb. No, of course not in this day & age. \$\endgroup\$ – Tim Spriggs Mar 30 '16 at 22:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ Take a look here \$\endgroup\$ – EM Fields Mar 30 '16 at 22:31
  • \$\begingroup\$ Any pin-activated switch which is SPDT will do what you want. You use the common and the NC contacts. \$\endgroup\$ – WhatRoughBeast Mar 30 '16 at 22:41
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ These things often go as remove before flight switch [or pin]. It's also possible to rig a switch like that out of a DC barrel jack. \$\endgroup\$ – Nick Alexeev Mar 30 '16 at 22:42

3.5mm Audio Jack with switch?
DC Barrel Jack (2.1mm / 2.5mm) with internal switch lip?
About any round connector meant for low power multi-media will have variants with a switch inside.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.