I'm thinking of buying a DC Motor to play with. I'm wondering is there any way to pass a wire up to electronics spinning on the shaft?

I'd love to pass 4 wires (vcc, dcc, clk an data) lines from electronics sitting next to the motor up to some electronics being rotated by the motor.

I'm wondering if there is a connector of some kind that would let me do such a thing.

  • \$\begingroup\$ A motor shaft is solid. \$\endgroup\$
    – Alex
    Commented Apr 6, 2016 at 21:37

1 Answer 1


Yes. You are looking for a 4-pole slip-ring.

If you want the motor shaft to pass through the slip-rings you will need a hollow version.

enter image description here

Figure 1. Hollow slip-ring.

  • \$\begingroup\$ So this is just about what I would want. On the other hand I can't find anyplace that sells them. \$\endgroup\$
    – Justin808
    Commented Apr 7, 2016 at 4:40
  • \$\begingroup\$ You'll have to try harder! If you're on a tight budget then look up "DIY slip-rings" on Google image search. \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Commented Apr 7, 2016 at 6:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.