I am looking for what type of switch is only only for a split second (1 second max) even when held.

Basically: Press and hold button-->LED only on for a split second and back off even though I am still holding it. If It is not a 'Switch' then what would I need to do to accomplish this.

EDIT: The Reason I Posted this one is because I'm a beginner, I have No Idea what a Logic Gate is. Is the a component I can just buy?

  • \$\begingroup\$ If this is to be used with a microcontroller, this would certainly be a job for software, not hardware. \$\endgroup\$
    – Bort
    Jun 16, 2016 at 19:59

1 Answer 1


If you are amenable to using a simple circuit you could use a one shot based on a 555 timer chip. You might also consider an RC circuit.

  • \$\begingroup\$ 555 Timer Chip, Someting I can Buy? Or Make? \$\endgroup\$ May 23, 2016 at 0:22
  • \$\begingroup\$ @display a 555 can be picked up at any electronics store, even radioshack. A 556 is the same but two 555 in one package. \$\endgroup\$
    – Passerby
    May 23, 2016 at 1:05

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.