Hi I have a soft ice cream machine which shows as240v but is a single phase motor. It has a scotch block with two black wires and the earth separate. Can this be attached to normal uk sockets via a wire and plug? Thanks

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ there should be a plate on the motor. what does it say? \$\endgroup\$
    – user16222
    Jun 10, 2016 at 16:35
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Any documentation come with the device? \$\endgroup\$
    – Andy aka
    Jun 10, 2016 at 16:51
  • \$\begingroup\$ yeah, what AC frequency does the motor need? \$\endgroup\$ Jun 11, 2016 at 5:18

2 Answers 2


If the appliance shows a nameplate rating of 240V it is not clear why you would ask this question? On first appearance, it would seem obvious that it was intended for UK/European/230-240V mains power.

The "scotch block with two black wires and the earth separate" doesn't really tell us anything without a photo and description of what is connected there.


In Costa Rica we have 110/220 volt distribution with three wires: two black and one earth. There are 110 volts from either black to earth and 220 volts between the two blacks (don't have to be black, it is just for your question). We have two type of plugs, 220 plugs for certain appliances (like the electric oven) and 110-volt plugs for lighting and other stuff. If I get a motor like yours I would just plug it into a 220-volt plug without worrying too much about it. The earth it to earth the housing. Regards.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge that you have read and understand our privacy policy and code of conduct.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.