What type of ribbon cable connector is this in the picture below? I would like to order a compatible male end for a converter plug I am designing.

Edit: The pin spacing (as measured with a digital caliper, by averaging the inside and outside measurements of two pins) is approximately 0.1", so I think the Molex KK is correct.

Ribbon Cable Connector

For the curious, this is from an OWI robotic arm kit.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Hm, could we get another picture directly facing the metal contacts? If you just want to have a male plug for this type of connector you could try using a standard pin header. \$\endgroup\$
    – 0x6d64
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 17:32
  • 3
    \$\begingroup\$ Please measure the pin spacing for us. If it is 0.1" spacing, it looks like a Molex KK connector to me. \$\endgroup\$
    – markrages
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 17:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ Agreeing with markrages, it looks a lot like a KK, which are available in either .100 or .156 inch pitches. But I don't remember KK having the wide reflective surface on the fem. connector, or the two friction bumps on the header. Whatever it is, this would normally be considered a "discrete wire" connector rather than a ribbon cable connector -- though as you see here it can also be used with ribbon by seperating the wires out before attaching the connector. \$\endgroup\$
    – The Photon
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 18:17
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ It looks like 2.54mm and a KK type connector to me too. I think most of the Molex ones have the tab on the upper side though. Having a quick look on Farnell seemed to confirm this, though there were some with the tab on the bottom like this one from Multicomp. Either way, pretty much any molex shrouded/unshrouded type 2.54mm pitch connector should be able to be used with that socket. \$\endgroup\$
    – Oli Glaser
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 18:24
  • \$\begingroup\$ This is a connector with no name (at least it seems like that to me, I have a hard time finding them). For German people, here is a source: reichelt.de/Platinen-Steckverbinder/0/500/… \$\endgroup\$
    – starblue
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 18:39

1 Answer 1


The connector on the PCB is a MOLEX KK Series HEADER, SQUARE PIN, 0.1", 8WAY and the one on the cable is a MOLEX KK Series CRIMP HOUSING, 0.1", 8WAY.

So in order to make a compatible male end, you'll need to get a 8-pin crimp housing (The picture from Farnell isn't accurate, as it shows a connector with only 5 pins) and connect the other end of your cable to it with the help of a 8 x Crimp Contacts. And on the converter's PCB you'll have to solder an 8-pin Molex Header.

Here's a video tutorial on how to make a Molex KK crimp connector.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Does any crimp tool work with those, or do you need something special? \$\endgroup\$
    – captncraig
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 19:14
  • \$\begingroup\$ Nothing special; you can even use some pliers \$\endgroup\$
    – m.Alin
    Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 19:20
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Great answer, thanks! My eyes were crossing from looking at random connectors in the Digikey catalog and trying to guess… \$\endgroup\$ Commented Dec 23, 2011 at 21:59
  • \$\begingroup\$ Actually, you're better off getting the right crimp tool for the job if you don't want the wire pulling out. A proper crimp works better than a pliers crimp, even if the pliers crimp is soldered post-crimp (which actually creates a strain point where the solder stops; this area is prone to breakage). P.S. The connector section of the online Digi-Key site search is one of the hardest to search things ever. There is little consistency in their keywords. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jan 9, 2012 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.