I'm wondering what the metal parts on top of these connectors are for: enter image description here

Are they just for a spot to "grab" for pick and place, and these metal parts will be removed later?

Attribution for picture: Mill-Max

  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ I believe that's exactly what they're for -- To allow the pick & place machine to grab them and place them on the PCB. \$\endgroup\$
    – DerStrom8
    Jun 22, 2016 at 14:36

2 Answers 2


Yes, that cap is intended to allow a pick & place machine at the assembly house to pick up the connector and place it on the PCB. Depending on the connector and the manufacturer, they can come in metal, plastic, or film ("sticker") types. Here is an example from GCT (Global Connector Technology):


Attribution for picture : GCT

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Thanks for adding the image @placeholder , that was a great idea \$\endgroup\$
    – DerStrom8
    Jun 22, 2016 at 14:53
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ Link rot can set in, it's fair use under trade mark if you provide attribution. Good find BTW, you beat me to a good picture!! \$\endgroup\$ Jun 22, 2016 at 14:56

Yes, that's exactly what they're for. A vacuum pickup needs a flat surface to grab onto.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.