So, I have a vintage Pioneer hi-fi installation and I want to use it in a recording studio. It features two passive speakers and one amplifier. My problem is that the speakers need to be connected to the amp by tightening speaker wire to them using screws - and I want to be able to easily attach and detach them.

The amp has speaker plugs (similar to the modern binding posts) which look like
this http://www.ultraelectronicactive.com/Media/Equip/Connectors+Cables/Pioneer-Speaker-Plugs.jpg
and the connection on the speaker side is kind of like a binding post, like
(source: stereobarn.com)

but it's just simple screws holding the wire.

Now, my questions is: does anyone know if there already exists some cable connector which fits these connections? Or does anyone have a suggestion on how to make one myself? I have a basic knowledge of soldering. I would love to just have a 1/4" or banana plug speaker cable which I could easily plug in or remove when I want to. I am aware of the possibility to plug in banana jacks into binding posts, but they would in no way fit mine.

Edit: I also can't seem to open my passive speakers to change out the connections.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Why not use standard spring speaker connectors? \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 20:38
  • \$\begingroup\$ I dislike having to put the ends of speaker wire in a connector. I prefer have a proper jack which you can plug in (I also play guitar and bass etc, so that's why). Oh and I also can't seem to open the passive speaker to change out the connections :/ \$\endgroup\$
    – mbauwens
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 20:46
  • \$\begingroup\$ Oh, I see what you're asking now. Just use spade lugs. \$\endgroup\$ Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 20:47
  • \$\begingroup\$ If you can't open the speakers can you remove the driver from the front to gain access to the rear? \$\endgroup\$
    – Transistor
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 20:53
  • \$\begingroup\$ @transistor; nope already tried that .. :/ I was thinking of some way to connect something to the vintage connectors, like this instead of opening up and replacing :) \$\endgroup\$
    – mbauwens
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 20:58

2 Answers 2


Just make your own adapter. Purchase the correct types of connectors, a suitable piece of wire, and crimp/solder them on. Easier than sourcing a random non-standard adapter.

Or use a spade to banana plug adaptor.

enter image description here

  • \$\begingroup\$ Well, that's what I'm looking for. But what is the correct type of connector for a screw hole? Because that's what the speaker has as a connection :p transistor suggested to use fork crimp terminals as connectors and then connect them with jacks - which is kind of an alternative to what you're saying. I think I might go with either of your suggestions, thanks! \$\endgroup\$
    – mbauwens
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 21:20
  • \$\begingroup\$ @mbauwens "fork crimp terminals" those are called spade connectors, not fork. See update. \$\endgroup\$
    – Passerby
    Commented Jun 23, 2016 at 21:22

I have the same issue with my vintage Sansui receiver. The speaker terminals are the screw type which only accept up to 11 awg thick straight cable. I got high quality cable and created a "bridge where I have a 5-way post on a board for L/R speakers (either you can do biwire at this point or at the speaker termination end) and connect a stripped 11 awg wire connected from the amplifier to the 5-way and then a banana plug or spade from the 5-way to the speaker If you use excellent quality cable, there will be no sonic degradation by bridging the old terminal to a 5-way.

The other option is to find a shop that does amplifier repairs and ask if they can swap out the original binding posts with 5-ways. That is my plan if I ever have to have it repaired for other reasons.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.