Looking at a datasheet of an inverting regulator, I found something peculiar:

Ordering information with strange Pin-Package

I've never heard of a Pin-Package called "Dice" before, and it doesn't even specify the pin-count. On the package information site of the manufacturer, this package isn't mentioned either.

What does "Dice" mean in this context and why would I want to use it?


Strange naming convention for loose chips, i.e. dies from the silicon wafer with no package.

You want to use it if you are assembling your own custom IC with this device built into it. Flip-chip straight on the PCB comes to mind as well, but the die has to be made for it in the first place.

  • \$\begingroup\$ "Dice" is the plural of "die". Also, "flip-chip" is often WLCSP. \$\endgroup\$ Jun 29 '16 at 12:13
  • \$\begingroup\$ @IgnacioVazquez-Abrams. Is that an BE vs AE language difference? I've only heard read dies? From Wikipedia: "There are three commonly used plural forms: dice, dies, and die." Guess I learned something today. \$\endgroup\$
    – winny
    Jun 29 '16 at 12:16
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ FWIW, in my experience "dice" is the accepted plural of the throwable cubes, but I've only ever seen "dies" in the context of integrated electronics. \$\endgroup\$
    – marcelm
    Jun 29 '16 at 12:17
  • \$\begingroup\$ I have seen and heard "dice" several times in the US in Silicon Valley. \$\endgroup\$
    – mkeith
    Jul 5 '16 at 8:43
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @mkeith Seems like a BE/AE language thing then! \$\endgroup\$
    – winny
    Jul 5 '16 at 8:51

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.