0
\$\begingroup\$

Recently I was switching the power cord for my dryer and before I attached it to the dryer, I plugged it in to make sure it would fit. The metals st the other end touched. They popped extremely loud and burnt me. Could I have just ruined my outlet?

\$\endgroup\$

closed as off-topic by Passerby, uint128_t, Bence Kaulics, Daniel Grillo, Sparky256 Jul 11 '16 at 19:17

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions on the use of electronic devices are off-topic as this site is intended specifically for questions on electronics design." – Passerby, uint128_t, Bence Kaulics, Daniel Grillo, Sparky256
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ You probably tripped the circuit breaker. \$\endgroup\$ – user2943160 Jul 11 '16 at 4:12
3
\$\begingroup\$

You may have ruined your outlet (spark damage) but most likely you caused your circuit breaker to trip. Frankly, you are probably lucky to be alive (especially if your dryer is a clothes dryer).

Ensure you get someone who knows what s/he is doing to finish the wiring job for you!

\$\endgroup\$
  • \$\begingroup\$ I popped the circuit breaker. I went and flipped it and everything worked. Thanks ! \$\endgroup\$ – Sam Orozco Jul 11 '16 at 2:46
1
\$\begingroup\$

You created a dead short in an electrical systems. At a minimum, you have a popped circuit breaker or a burnt fuse. At worst, you have physical damage. Consult a license electrician.

\$\endgroup\$

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.