I opened up a night light that sits flat against the wall (only about 1/4" thick). It is basically a flat square that plugs directly into the receptacle. Inside, I found a paper-thin material that looks black on one side and a silver on the other. The silver side lights up a soft glowing green color when it is connected.

What is this material, and where can I get a larger quantity of it?

  • \$\begingroup\$ Without seeing it, I would say it's a LED with light-transmitting material, like a glass. \$\endgroup\$ – Eugene Sh. Jul 21 '16 at 16:43
  • 5
    \$\begingroup\$ Please add a picture. \$\endgroup\$ – David Jul 21 '16 at 16:45
  • \$\begingroup\$ Can you also provide a product part number for the night light? As mentioned, a picture is also necessary. \$\endgroup\$ – user2943160 Jul 21 '16 at 18:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ Night light model 99905. It is definitely electroluminescent like Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams said. \$\endgroup\$ – K. Cut Jul 21 '16 at 19:01

It's an electrolumiscent (EL) panel. It comes in various colors, sizes, and shapes, including a wire-like form.

  • \$\begingroup\$ +1 I'm a bit surprised these are still around, but the blue-green light is a dead giveaway. \$\endgroup\$ – Spehro Pefhany Jul 21 '16 at 17:21
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @SpehroPefhany EL is very hot in pop-DIY right now, in all shapes, sizes and types. \$\endgroup\$ – Asmyldof Jul 21 '16 at 18:33

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.