I'm designing a robot gripper that needs to pickup an electronic device (the size of half a laptop) and move it around. The problem is that when the device gets picked up, I need to establish a USB connection (the device has one of those small USB connectors.

I was thinking about designing a PCB with an SMD right angle USB connector in one side and a few fat pads on the other. I would manually attach the connector to the device before the robot picks it up, and I would have some sort of spring on the gripper to make the USB connection. Something like the ones used in the SD cards, but bigger.

Question is: do you have another suggestion or know what component to use to make the electrical contact?


1 Answer 1

  • Mill-max makes spring probe strips and buttons (See http://www.mill-max.com ) If you had two little PCBs you could put use the spring probes to hit large pads. You would need to apply constant pressure to insure the contacts stay mated.

  • There are conductive elastomer strips in a variety of sizes. The elastomer would connect two PCB pads.

  • Spring probes for in-circuit testing could work too.

I would look at the Mill-max contact strips first.

  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ I think jcl has the right idea. You might also google "pogo pin." \$\endgroup\$
    – pingswept
    Commented May 3, 2010 at 2:36
  • \$\begingroup\$ I'm sold with the Mill-max idea! Thanks a bunch! I'm calling my local distributor tomorrow. \$\endgroup\$ Commented May 3, 2010 at 4:16
  • \$\begingroup\$ You're welcome. Mill-max is good with samples. You could probably get a couple pieces to verify the parts will work in your application. \$\endgroup\$
    – jluciani
    Commented May 3, 2010 at 10:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.