I am mechanical engineer, and it is my hobby to make some thing new from broken and expired machines.

I found a broken electrical kettle, and I want to make a water heater from it by using its coil. The coil is already insulated, according to design it is to hang it in water. Now I need to insulate the connection of wires for the coil.

Please I need help to find insulation material, which can withstand High temperature of the coil, also give it electrical insulation under water. And also from where I can get it easily.


  • \$\begingroup\$ you may perhaps get flagged as this could be seen as a repair question. We have no clue how that coil looks like, so we need pictures an some drawings, how your water heater should look like. In general I do not recommend modifications involving line voltage and water. You will very likely electrocute yourself for having saved a handful of bucks. \$\endgroup\$
    – Ariser
    Commented Aug 24, 2016 at 10:49

1 Answer 1


You won't find it easily, for a kettle element.

Things like araldite and heatshrink plastic tube will tolerate 100C (just), but unfortunately the inside business part of a kettle element runs far hotter than that, only cooling down to nearly 100C where it contacts the water.

If you look at immersion elements, you will find a continuous metal tube extends out of the water, either extended from the same element tube, or welded to it, with ceramic insulator inside.

I'm not saying a suitable waterproof and heat resistant glue or plastic doesn't exist, just that it won't be as easy to find as looking in a normal electronics catalogue.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.