Today, the AAA battery in my remote control exploded. The "pop" sound is pretty loud. I've been using this remote control for years, and I'm more inclined to believe that it is the battery issue rather than the circuit issue, because if it was the circuit problem, the problem could have occurred a few years back.
From my understanding, the common reasons for an electrolyte capacitor to explode is due to high voltage over the voltage rating or connection in wrong polarity. However, I'm not sure about the reason for an AAA battery to explode. So the question is like what is stated in the title, what are the possible reasons for an AAA battery to explode?
@Russell, the battery connection is shown below, this should be a series connection right?
Besides, the remote control is still functional with new batteries. I took a deep breath while trying this again, the explosion isn't big, but the sound is still a little scary...
Some additional information:
What sort of battery - Alkaline, NiMH, other?
It's Alkaline - not rechargeable
How many AA batteries in remote?
IR remote presumably?
There's an LED, and I have to point it to the air conditioner to use the remote, I think it's IR remote.
Brand of battery?
Age of battery (time in use)?
It's not newly installed, my guess is a few months of usage before the explosion.
Was it recharged?
No, it isn't recharged.