I'm trying to make my ESP8266-01 work with a simple FTDI board, wired like this schematic:
Everything works nicely when in "Flash mode" (even with ESP8266 NodeMCU Flasher or doing everything within Arduino IDE). But when I disconnect GPIO 0 from ground pin from FTDI, everything seems to freeze. Symptoms:
- FTDI LEDs are all lit (both green LEDs and red LED).
- ESP red LED is barely lit, almost completely turned off.
- Nothing is recognized in my computer.
- I've tried plugging GPIO 0 into VCC. Nothing works too.
- I'm powering the entire setup with USB current only.
What am I doing wrong? Could this problem be solved only with external power supply? If yes, how much current does the ESP8266 require?