I have a bass guitar that has a built-in pre amp, which is switched ON whenever the cable is plugged into the bass. I typically use the bass all day, and leave the amp on and the bass plugged in - for convenience.
The problem is that as long as it is plugged in (whether or not the instrument is in use) there is a drain on the 9-volt battery.
It is not practical to constantly unplug the instrument, so I decided to add a single pole switch that simply cuts the power from the battery to the pre amp circuit.
This preserves the battery life, BUT, when the switch is thrown it produces a pop and short squeal from the bass amplifier (which stays ON while the instrument is not in use).
Would adding a capacitor into the mix solve this little annoyance? If so, can someone recommend the capacitor value needed? If not, can anyone offer a solution? ...or is this simply a bad idea that needs to be abandoned?