I am looking for the correct connector to receive and give me access to each of the 4 signals on an S-Video cable. I have found this:


and also this :


But it is hard for me to know if these parts are 'exactly' correct since they don't seem to mention S-Video and the Wikipedia page for the S-Video socket doesn't explain the technical name for this type of socket other than Mini din : S-Video wikipedia page

  • \$\begingroup\$ From the Wikipedia article: "The four-pin mini-DIN connector is the most common of several S-Video connector types." \$\endgroup\$ – duskwuff -inactive- Oct 6 '16 at 2:00
  • \$\begingroup\$ This is neither a recommendation or shopping question. OP is not asking "I want you to find me a place to buy x". OP is asking about clarification on their understanding of a electronics component or specification. \$\endgroup\$ – Passerby Oct 6 '16 at 3:45

The S-Video standard uses the German standardized Mini-Din-4 connector, which the Wikipedia article glosses over and does not name with the accurate technical name of the connector. There are 7 standardized Mini-Din variants, and many non-standard connectors that mate with some Mini-Din standard connectors. Calling it a four pin Mini-Din is like saying a 3 pin audio connector or a barrel connector. It's not explicitly clear, as even the Wikipedia article for Mini-Din shows.

But yes, those connectors are the proper ones for S-Video.

| improve this answer | |
  • \$\begingroup\$ Passerby you reflect the exact answer and explanation I was hoping for - thank you. Please note the differences here @Pipe to your response. \$\endgroup\$ – RenegadeAndy Oct 6 '16 at 15:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ No problem, but try not to engage in arguments here. The mods have cleaned up the comments for a reason. \$\endgroup\$ – Passerby Oct 6 '16 at 15:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.