I'm curious, do they use photodiodes or something? As far as I know, that would be the cheapest way to do high speed communications over fiber (fibre? I'm 'murican) but I'm not sure.

  • \$\begingroup\$ For any high speed optical communications (the internet just happens to have some high speed nodes), PIN diodes are commonly used in the receiver. \$\endgroup\$ – Peter Smith Oct 9 '16 at 14:54
  • \$\begingroup\$ In the past when PIN diodes were not as well developed use was made of avalanche photo diodes to gain fast responses. \$\endgroup\$ – KalleMP Oct 9 '16 at 20:01
  • \$\begingroup\$ While fiber-optic communication is on-topic here, it's even more on-topic when tagged with "fiber" at the Network Engineering StackExchange. \$\endgroup\$ – davidcary Oct 10 '16 at 3:44
  • \$\begingroup\$ @davidcary I didn't even know there was a Network Engineering area. Thanks, will keep in mind if I ever have a similar question \$\endgroup\$ – Sith Siri Oct 10 '16 at 4:47

Yep, high speed photodiodes are the simplest way to do this. A receiver will usually consist of a photodiode and transimpedance amplifier (current in, voltage out). After that, it's just a high speed serial electrical signal, and that gets fed into clock data recovery circuitry, deserializers, etc.

There can be components in front of the photodiode, though. Wavelength division multiplexing is used to send multiple signals over one fiber. 40G and 100G Ethernet uses 4 parallel data streams, and you can get WDM modules that include the optical filters necessary to combine and split as needed. In this case, the receiver would consist of a WDM demultiplexer and four photodiodes and TIAs.

For coherent transmission, an interferometer is used to split the light out into in-phase and quadrature components, which are sent to two separate photodiodes and TIAs, followed by very high speed ADCs and a pile of digital signal processing.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.