I have an old communist era E.European 'hifi' which I would like to connect a turntable too. There are three DIN socket inputs on the amp, and I assume one of them must be able to receive the phono connection. One of them seems to be magnetic tape, but I've no idea about the others (possibly different types of phono cartridge?).

I've attached a photo.

If anyone recognises these, please could you tell me:

  • What the two symbols mean
  • If poss, a pinout for the DIN connector (so I can rewire my 2-RCA connector turtable to fit)

enter image description here


closed as off topic by Leon Heller, Kellenjb, tcrosley, Kevin Vermeer Feb 10 '12 at 17:41

Questions on Electrical Engineering Stack Exchange are expected to relate to electronics design within the scope defined by the community. Consider editing the question or leaving comments for improvement if you believe the question can be reworded to fit within the scope. Read more about reopening questions here. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • \$\begingroup\$ Nothing to do with electronic design. Question should be closed. \$\endgroup\$ – Leon Heller Feb 10 '12 at 12:15
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @Leon: There are also plenty of similar examples in the related list, eg: electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/9792/… \$\endgroup\$ – UpTheCreek Feb 10 '12 at 12:26
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/DIN_connector \$\endgroup\$ – starblue Feb 10 '12 at 12:59
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @UpTheCreek the question you linked to is at least remotely related to electronics design as someone might be trying to figure out what the connector is called to use in their design. This question seems like pure consumer electronics. \$\endgroup\$ – Kellenjb Feb 10 '12 at 14:07
  • 2
    \$\begingroup\$ @Kellenjb - did you read it? He was replacing a power plug! There was no 'design'. Not really any different to my question. \$\endgroup\$ – UpTheCreek Feb 10 '12 at 15:43

From left to right:

  • Turntable pickup, magnetic (a.k.a. dynamic).

  • Turntable pickup, crystal (a.k.a. piezo).

  • Tape recorder.

See here for pinout: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DIN_connector#Analog_audio


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.