I have a bunch of these temperature sensors that I want to use for a project, but I can't find any information about the specifications of it. There are no markings on it to aid in identification.

I have hooked it to a multimeter, and it appear to be a simple varying resistance. At body temperature it reads about 6.5kΩ, and at room temperature about 11kΩ. Is it simply a variable resistance?

Unidentified Thermoprobe

  • \$\begingroup\$ Actually u got two points (X,Y ) (body temp , 6.5 K ) , (room temp , 11 k) from this points you can get equation : R(resistance)= A * Temp + C (linear equation , A & C are constants ) So no need for the datasheet , except finding the max rating \$\endgroup\$
    – xsari3x
    Feb 13, 2012 at 20:18
  • \$\begingroup\$ Yes indeed, but I wanted to a) be sure this is actually a 'real' measurement and not a side-effect, and b) find out what the limits and performance of the part are. Doesn't need to be 100% perhaps, but be nice to at least have an idea it's correct. \$\endgroup\$
    – Cylindric
    Feb 13, 2012 at 20:23
  • 4
    \$\begingroup\$ I's good to look for the datasheet, but doubling its value for about 10 degrees of temperature seems showing that is a NTC (Negative Temperature Coefficient) thermistor \$\endgroup\$
    – clabacchio
    Feb 13, 2012 at 20:32
  • \$\begingroup\$ Great, that helps - it looks exactly like a bunch of other "Thin Film NTC Thermistors" out there. \$\endgroup\$
    – Cylindric
    Feb 13, 2012 at 20:43
  • 1
    \$\begingroup\$ @xsari: A linear approximation is not usually very good for these kinds of thermistors. If I remember right, the real equation based on the physics is exponential based. Over human range temperatures, a third order polynomial is usually good enough. \$\endgroup\$ Feb 13, 2012 at 21:30

1 Answer 1


What you have is a Kapton-laminated/Kapton-encapsulated thermistor. From the description, it is a NTC (negative temperature coefficent) device.

(Kapton is the material the amber film is composed of. It's a high-temperature polymer)

The actual packaging is fairly unusual. The only place I have ever seen thermistors like that is in computer sensing hardware. I also did not have much luck finding places where you can purchase similar devices.

For what it's worth, this is actually not a thin film device. It's a standard thermistor, packaged in a film enclosure. Thin film, in an electronics context, typically means that the resistive/active element is composed of a thin film, generally deposited on a substrate, typically with a vacuum deposition process.

In this case, you have a standard chip-type thermistor, which is laminated into a polymer film.

As an aside, if the part has no marking on it, you will likely never find a datasheet for your particular part. However, from the values you specify, it sounds like a bog-standard 10K thermistor (e.g. 10K @ 25°C, which is a common way to specify them), so it should be easy to use even in lieu of having a real datasheet.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.